copyright reserved by photographer

Workers

© Russell Smith, 2012

© Russell Smith, 2012

Advertisements

7 responses

1. Robin

Workers working at something…

January 5, 2013 at 7:39 pm

2. Have you ever thought of putting a book together…this is such a slice of life

January 6, 2013 at 4:16 am

• Yes, but I don’t know where to begin! Photography books are hard to sell to publishers. I’ve only shown 1 photo at a gallery and that was about 2 years ago. If the gallery owners reject me, I can’t get a name. Maybe someday. Thanks for the compliment. It’s really appreciated. ♥

January 6, 2013 at 8:01 pm

• It’s not a compliment Russell. Your photos would be perfect in a book. They show so many facets of where you live.

January 6, 2013 at 10:07 pm

• Hi Russell,

I would second Jo Bryant’s opinion, I think your photos deserve publication. With some more artistry or sociological touch for the idea of the book, then it should make a great publication. Trust me, the snippets, angles, and details are there, and you have successfully conveyed messages through simple pictures, and this is an excellent starting point. It is just the big picture that probably you may want to work on. Have you heard of the current globaly phenomenon Paris versus New York? I just heard it yesterday on the ABC and then now they’re featuring it in my favorite newspaper, The Guardian:

This is an excellent project, except that it is in graphic. Truly, the messages are well-contrasted to the extent of blatant mockery , but rather than perceiving the book with the perspectives of self-cynicism, the book is a successful project in elaborating the impacts of globalization and the perpetual efforts that the inhabitants of the two cities make in maintaining their identity.

I suppose you could do the same thing with photographs. How about contrasting two different cities? Los Angeles and Beijing? With a major theme East vs West? Or something like that? Or two different groups of people? Something different, perhaps? This could be a project that is full of cross-cultural understanding, I suppose 😉

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be too preachy, but I just thought that I would like to share some ideas that you may probably want to explore more. Hopefully this gives you some ideas, if at all. 🙂

Best wishes, Russell.

Subhan Zein

January 7, 2013 at 12:57 pm

3. Dear Subhan-

Thank you for your kind words! And I’d like to wish you a Happy New Year as well. Thanks also for the advise. There is a lot of merit in your suggestion. Perhaps I could take pictures of Beverly Hills and contrast that to Hollywood. They are almost like two different countries even though only a few miles separate them! I’d love to go to Beijing, or some other location, but I am limited in my ability to travel- both physically and financially. Perhaps I could get a grant? Something to think about for sure. Take care, Russell

January 7, 2013 at 4:54 pm

4. Mimi

I second, third, whatever. I love your photos. They ALWAYS tell a story. It’s interesting to see how people react to them.

February 15, 2013 at 1:29 am